Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)
EPS enables prescribers - such as GPs and practice nurses - to send prescriptions electronically to a dispenser (such as a pharmacy) of the patient's choice. This makes the prescribing and dispensing process more efficient and convenient for patients and staff.
Start using EPS
Ask someone at your GP surgery or at any pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS to add your nomination for you. Nomination means you choose a place for your GP practice to electronically send your prescription to. You don't need a computer to use EPS. You can choose up to one of each of the following:
- a pharmacy
- a dispensing appliance contractor (if you use one)
- your dispensing GP practice (if you are eligible).
If you collect repeat prescriptions you will not have to visit your GP practice just to pick up your paper prescription. Instead, your GP will send the prescription electronically to the place you choose, saving you time.
The prescription is an electronic message so there is no paper prescription to lose.
You will have more choice about where to get your medicines from because they can be collected from a pharmacy near to where you live, work or shop.
If the prescription needs to be cancelled the GP can electronically cancel and issue a new prescription without you having to return to the practice – saving you extra trips.
You may not have to wait as long at the pharmacy as your repeat prescriptions can be made ready before you arrive.
You can get all these benefits if you:
- have a stable condition
- don't want to go to your GP practice every time to collect your repeat prescription
- collect your medicines from the same place most of the time
- Use a prescription collection service now.
You will not get as many benefits, if you:
- don't get prescriptions very often or
- Pick up your medicines from different places.